- Mercy Women and Infants' Center Overview
- Choosing a Mercy Hospital
- Mercy West Lakes
- Birthing Unit
- Mother/Baby Unit
- Getting Ready for Baby
- Childbirth Education Classes and Tours
- Mercy Lactation Consultants & Information
- Little Miracles Lactation Boutique
- Pregnancy Health Center
- Patient Stories
- Special-care Services
- Web Nursery
- Maternity Triage and Treatment Unit
- Perinatal Center of Iowa
- Variety Club Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Mercy Stork Affair
- Women & Infants' Center Virtual Tour
Mercy’s Perinatal Center of Iowa (PCI) offers a complete spectrum of services dedicated to mothers-to-be—including the management of high risk pregnancies, obstetric ultrasounds, prenatal screenings, inpatient care and genetic counseling.
Mercy's Perinatal Center of Iowa Services
While most pregnancies proceed normally, some require special care. This may be due to a special circumstance known in advance of pregnancy, such as when a mother has a pre-existing medical condition. Other complications with a pregnancy may be discovered during prenatal testing or during the course of the pregnancy.
You should seek special care in advance of pregnancy if you:
- Have diabetes
- Have high blood pressure
- Are pregnant before age 18 or after age 34
- Have a history of miscarriage, stillbirth or pre-term birth
- Have a family history of genetic disorders
- Have been exposed to drugs, X-rays or other harmful agents
- Are extremely over- or under-weight
- Have tested positive for HIV and/or other sexually transmitted diseases
To help ensure the birth of a healthy baby, we suggest you:
- Seek pre-conception care from your health care provider to identify any risks or problems before becoming pregnant.
- Seek genetic counseling if there is a history of genetic disorders, or if you are over age 34.
- See your health care provider as soon as you become pregnant to set up a schedule for prenatal care. During this visit, discuss your risk factors.
- While you are pregnant, avoid smoking, drinking alcohol and taking any drugs, unless prescribed by a physician.
- Avoid chemicals in the workplace or at home.
- Avoid high temperatures, including hot baths, saunas or hot tubs.
To schedule an appointment, call (515) 643-6888. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Get your free, no-obligation packet of birthing information today!
To request your FREE packet of information simply contact us today! Be sure to include your name and mailing address in the request.