- Mercy Orthopedics and Center for Joint Replacement Overview
- Find an Orthopedic Specialist
- Patient Stories
- Your Health History
- Joint Pain Seminars
- Pain Management Video
- Occupational and Physical Therapy Video
- Preparing for Surgery Video
- Foot and Ankle
- Hand and Upper Extremity
- Hip and Knee
- Total Joint Replacement
- Orthopedic Trauma
- Physical Therapy
- Inpatient Rehab Services
- Riverside Rehab
- Mercy Arthritis and Osteoporosis Center
Assess your risk for arthritis
Answer the following questions as best as you can to determine if you have any of the factors that may put you at an increased risk for developing arthritis. To be at risk means that there is a possibility, based on certain factors known to contribute to the disease, that you may develop arthritis or a related condition.
- Are you 45 years of age or older?
- Have you ever had a knee injury that was severe enough to put you in bed, force you to use a cane, crutch or brace or require surgery?
- Are you more than 10 pounds overweight?
- On a regular basis, do you or have you in the past engaged in more than three hours per day of heavy physical activities—such as bending lifting or carrying items?
- Did you have hip problems that caused you to limp as a child?
What's my score
If you answered yes to any of the questions 1-5, you are at risk for developing arthritis.
Assess your symptoms
The following seven questions are designed to determine if you are exhibiting the signs of arthritis. Answer them as best as you can.
- Has a doctor ever told you have arthritis?
- During the past 12 months, have you had pain, aching, stiffness or swelling in or around a joint?
- In a typical month, were these symptoms present for at least half of the days?
- Do you have pain in your knee or hip when climbing stairs or walking two to three blocks (1/4 mile) on flat ground?
- Do you have daily pain or stiffness in your hand joints?
- Is your ability to participate in activities limited in any way because of joint symptoms—such as pain, aching, stiffness or loss of motion?
- Rate your ability to do the following activities as related to your joint symptoms:
0 - without any difficulty
1 - With some difficulty
2 - With much difficulty
3 - Unable to do
- Dress yourself, including shoelaces and buttons?
- Stand up from an armless straight chair?
- Get in and out of a car?
- Open a car door?
What's my score
If you answered yes to two or more questions 1-7, you might have symptoms of arthritis.
If you scored 6 or more on question 7, please consider contacting your health care provider immediately.