- State ALL medications and allergies to nurses, doctors and others who ask. This includes prescription, over-the-counter medicines and dietary supplements such as vitamins and herbs.
- Ask for information about your medications in terms you can understand.
- What is this medicine for?
- How am I supposed to take it and for how long?
- What side effects are likely?
- What do I do if side effects occur?
- Is this medicine safe to take with other medicines or dietary supplements I am taking?
- What food, drink, or activities should I avoid while taking this medicine?
- When your doctor writes you a prescription, make sure you can read it. If you can’t read your doctor’s handwriting, your pharmacist might not be able to either.
- When you pick up your medicine from the pharmacy, check that it is what the doctor prescribed.
* PDF documents require Adobe Reader.