The Wellness Center Gym and Pool offer a variety of classes, open times and pick up games to help its members stay fit.
- Adult Open Time: The gym is open for our members 18 years and older.
- Cardio/Abs: Different cardio routine each week and ending with abdominal exercises.
- Cardio/Strength Combo: Cardio routines and fun strength exercises will help burn calories as you firm up. The cool-down will increase your flexibility and relax your muscles.
- Circuit Training: A mixture of cardio and strength training at 50 second intervals followed by a 10 second break. This is a high intensity class with modifications available.
- Interval Training: This class will challenge your body with easy to follow combinations.
- Drop-In Basketball: Come join Mercy Wellness Center members for an exciting game of basketball.
- Qigong (Chi-gong)/Tai Chi: Develop strength, coordination and balance without exhausting your energy!
- Family Time: Immediate family members (spouse and children high school age and younger) can attend at no additional cost. Member must be with guests at all times.
- Fitness Yoga: Fitness-based yoga to relax, tone and stretch muscles.
- Kettlebells: A cast-iron weight (resembling a cannonball with a handle) used to perform ballistic exercises that combine cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training. *Payment required. Purchase $30/10 classes Punch Pass at the front desk.
- No Sweat!: Don't even change your clothes! Come in for 15 minutes to strength training. We promise you will reap the benefits without breaking a sweat! Classes can include body bar, weights, bosu, bands, discs etc.
- Okinawan Shotokan Karate: Okinawan Shotokan Karate teaches the importance of self-defense. In this type of martial art, the individual will strive for self-protection and perfection. Weapons taught at advanced levels – Bo, Sai, Nunchucku, Tonfa, and Kama. For more information, contact Michael Macrides, Renshisha – 5th Degree Black Belt, at 515-210-6296.
- Pick-Up Basketball or Drop-In Volleyball: Come in and join others to play basketball or volleyball.
- Plyometrics: 20 minutes of explosive movements followed by 10 minutes of core training. Modifications will be available.
- Ready, Set, Go!: Moderate level cardio, and strength training, will start your day off on the right foot!
- Running Club: Please contact Stephanie Spotts at 643-8663 for details.
- SilverSneakers I: Have fun and move to the music through a variety of exercises designed to increase muscular strength, range of motion, and activity for daily living skills. Handheld weights, elastic tubing with handles, and a ball are offered for resistance, and a chair is used for seated and standing support.
- Strength Training: This total body workout uses various forms of resistance including hand weights, body bars, medicine balls and exercise bands and is designed to boost muscular strength and endurance, as well as challenge all major muscle groups.
- Zumba™: Latin-based cardio workout. The dynamic routines are designed to be FUN and EASY TO DO. Classes will combine both interval training segments and resistance training to help you tone and sculpt your body while burning fat.
The Wellness Center pool is maintained to meet therapeutic needs. The water is non-chlorine treated and the temperature is held at 92 degrees to help ease medical problems such as arthritis and joint pain. Seven levels of water exercise are offered as well as other pool classes and activities.
- Arthritis: A water exercise program designed specifically for people with arthritis. This water class will help to reduce joint pain and stiffness, while also increasing range of motion. This class follows Arthritis Foundation guidelines (see the Arthritis Water Exercise Guidelines).
- Water Basics: Low impact water workout designed for active individuals of all ages. This class includes cardiovascular conditions, toning and stretching.
- Aqua Fitness: An intermediate water class emphasizing overall fitness and health. Also a great prenatal/postpartum workout.
- Hydro-Fusion: Most advanced water workout offered. Combination of vigorous cardiovascular exercise along with muscle toning and stretching.
- Scheduled Patient Time: Patient therapy; members are not allowed in the pool during these times.
- Adult Swim: Open pool time for members 18 years of age and older.
- Water Volleyball: A fun, yet challenging water game using beach balls and a net.
- Family Time: Saturdays only. Immediate family members (spouse and children high school age and younger) can attend at no additional cost. Member must be with guests at all times.
Two or more participants are needed to hold a gym or pool class. Equipment instruction is available as an alternative.